Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Carnitas

It's January and the middle of Winter, but here in San Diego its 70 and sunny.  And while I can't complain about the weather, I do miss the snuggle up with a blanket, scarf and boots weather that we had when we lived back east.  Winter makes me want to use my Crock Pot for stews and soups, to have a pot of warm yumminess waiting for you when you get home.  But this warm weather doesn't lend well to those recipes in our house, so I've brought back one of my absolute favorite Crock Pot recipes...and I'm proud to say its one I came up with all by myself!  I've had several people ask for this recipe, so I thought I'd type it out and share it.  I made this with a small roast because it was just me and the kids, but you could definitely use a larger roast and double the other ingredients.
I stink at taking pictures of food, so this was hijacked from Google Images...
but mine looked this good ;)

Pork Carnitas:
1 small pork roast, with fat trimmed
1/2 jar organic garlic cilantro salsa (8 oz)
Juice from 1/2 of a lime, orange and lemon
1/2 bottle of beer
2/3 cup chicken broth
1/2 packet taco seasoning (or if I don't have any, a liberal sprinkling of garlic powder, cumin, and chili powder)
Salt and pepper

Dump it all in the crock pot and cook on low for 7-8 hours, until the meat is falling apart and the juice has reduced slightly.

Shred the meat and mix with the juice.  I served it with lightly fried corn tortillas, fresh cilantro, sliced avocado and a dollop of low fat greek yogurt.  Yum!

No comments: