Sunday, January 9, 2011

RAK '11


I know, I know. I said I wasn't big on resolutions, but I think this is definitely worth giving a shot: Random Acts of Kindness for the big kids.
I sort of thieved this from my wonderfully creative friend Lori, with her permission of course, because I was sort of disheartened by Michael and Savannah's greediness this past holiday season. Yes, I am aware that this sort of greediness is perfectly normal for 3 and 5 year olds, but I cringed every time they would ask if someone was bringing them a present or said "I want that" for every toy commercial on TV. I tried fostering their giving spirit by helping them clean out their toys before Christmas and explaining that we would be donating them to children who don't have as many toys as they have...and they were surprisingly generous with what they were willing to give up for a good reason.

Lori's idea is this: fill a bag with the names of all the people Michael and Savannah know. Once a week (our day will be Monday) Michael and Savannah pick one name from the bag and do something kind for that person.

Michael and I talked today about this idea and, after the basic discussion about what it means to be kind, the conversation went something like this:
Me: What is something kind you could do for Grandma or Lovey?
Michael: Ummm...draw a picture of me and Gunner and Jack and you?
Me: That's a great idea! They could hang the picture on their refrigerator! What about for your teacher, Miss Lisa?
Michael: Ummm...draw a picture?
Me: Let's try to think of another idea. What about taking her a yummy muffin for breakfast?
Michael: Yeh, that's a good idea. She could eat it at snack time.
Me: Ok, what about for Miss Angie (mommy of our friends across the street)?
Michael: How 'bout drawing a picture of me eating a muffin?
Me: HAHAHAHA!

Anyway, we will be giving this a shot tomorrow! I will let you know how it goes:)

1 comment:

Team Jaeski said...

Such a cute picture to go with your 2011 RAK Intro! I love it!! I'm really glad you decided to give it a try. I'll bet it'll influence them more than we think in the long run. =)